top of page

Uxbridge Rugby Club rise to sixth in the table after back-to-back wins

(Picture - Uxbridge Rugby Club)

Uxbridge Rugby Club’s season has been bolstered after the team recorded back to back wins to rise to sixth place in the Herts/Middlesex second division.

The team beat West London and Pinner in the space of five days to leapfrog Harlequin Amateurs in the league and close the gap on fifth place Cuffley.

Uxbridge’s first match of the week was against West London and the game began with a minute’s silence to remember Henry Bridges, who sadly passed away after a 60-year association with the club.

It was Uxbridge who started the game the better and they were awarded a penalty try for repeated infringements, after good work from Steve Partridge and Wes Spiller.

But just before half-time, the match burst into life, as tempers frayed and West London were reduced to 14 men, as they had a man sent off.

After half-time, it was Uxbridge who took the game by the scruff of its neck, with Sam Dillamore adding to the team’s advantage, as he drove the ball over line. However, Ron Matthews’ men couldn’t make the most of their advantage, as they missed the resultant conversion.

The game itself proved to be a scrappy affair if truth be told, with Uxbridge finding it difficult to break down West London’s defence, with the latter opening their account thanks to a penalty.

However, there was to be no fight back, as Uxbridge sealed the victory, with Ron Matthews’ men driving the ball over the line, to secure a 17-3 victory.

Uxbridge backed this up with their second positive result in the space of five days, as they recorded a 29-14 victory over Pinner last Wednesday.

In tough conditions, it was Pinner who started the brighter, scoring a try out wide which was then backed up by two conversions.

After a tough start though, Uxbridge managed to get a foothold in the game through Nick Guy, who raced through and put the ball over the line to score the team’s first try of the game. However, Uxbridge couldn’t add to their tally before the half-time whistle, as they missed the resultant conversion.

Following a half-time team-talk from coach Ron Matthews, Uxbridge came out for the second half fired up and they added to their tally through Adam Webster, who forced his way over the line after good work from Jake Lamport.

Ron Matthews’ half-time team talk clearly had the desired effect, with Guy swiftly adding his second try of the game and Simon Batts also converting his first try of the season. Both conversions were successful for Uxbridge, who increased their lead as a result.

However, Pinner forged a route back into the game after they converted a penalty, but this was only to provide temporary hope, as Uxbridge killed the game off after James Malvenan scored the team’s fifth try of the game, following good work from Dillamore.

That try meant Uxbridge secured a 29-14 win and Ron Matthews’ men are back in action on the 24th February, when the team face Finsbury Park.

Follow Us
bottom of page